Atlanta Legal Aid Society works to remove barriers to justice so that everyone can receive quality legal care, regardless of income. Through our 75 attorneys on staff, our self-help tools, and our pro bono program, we help our clients deal with some of life’s most basic needs. For nearly 100 years, we have been helping our clients to secure safe homes, have enough food to eat, get a decent education, be protected against fraud, and get legal protection against domestic violence. Last year alone, our attorneys handled more than 20,000 cases that affected over 45,000 people in metro Atlanta. At Atlanta Legal Aid, we believe in a future where everyone has equal access to justice, regardless of income, and we are working towards that future every day.
We are currently seeking a part-time (80 percent) highly professional Administrative Assistant to provide administrative support to the senior leaders in the organization and serve as a liaison to the organization’s Board of Directors. Duties include a wide range of administrative and general office duties to ensure timely and accurate completion of projects that enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the Atlanta Legal Aid Society in achieving its mission.
Supporting the Executive Director and Senior Leadership
- Coordinate, organize, and assist with correspondence.
- Answer, screen, and direct phone calls and messages.
- Maintain the Executive Director’s files, including minutes for Board Meetings, Executive Committee Meetings, and various Committee Meetings.
- Maintain the Executive Director’s contact and e-mail distribution lists.
- Schedule and provide logistical support for meetings of the Board of Directors and its committees.
- Generate agendas and other materials for meetings of the Board of Directors and its committees, including catering and space reservations.
- Maintain minutes for Board Meetings.
- Maintain Board distribution lists and contact information, send out and track annual Conflict of Interest Forms and Disclosure Forms, and update Board and Committee information.
- Maintain Board and Advisory Committee Electronic Notebook
- Maintain communications with Board of Directors.
- Provide logistical support for additional meetings at the request of the Executive Director or other Senior Staff.
General Office Support
- Proofread reports and written documents for grammar, punctuation, and spelling errors.
- Support the client grievance process by forwarding information to the appropriate channels and communicating with clients as needed.
- Be a resource for non-legal aid referrals.
- Respond to prisoner letters.
- Review monthly bank reconciliation
- Provide additional logistical and administrative support for other Legal Aid activities as directed by the Executive Director and Deputy Director Assist in preparation for Legal Aid events as needed.
Qualifications & Skills:
- At least 3 years’ experience providing administrative support at the senior executive level-previous nonprofit experience a plus
- Excellent technical skills, including proficiency with spreadsheets, databases, and word processing (MS Office Suite)
- Mastery of written communication, with polished professional writing, and the ability to proof-read and craft company documents
- Excellent verbal communications skills
- Superb customer service skills and attitude
- Attention to detail, ability to juggle multiple competing priorities
- Ability to foresee potential problems and plan contingencies accordingly
- Ability to maintain and protect sensitive and confidential information.
- Appreciation of diversity
- High level of integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
Terms: The starting salary for someone with 3 years’ experience is $34,080.The position is part-time (80 percent) and non-exempt. The program provides generous fringe benefits, including educational loan reimbursement up to $7200 per year (after a $65 per month deductible and set off of other loan reimbursement amounts); paid holidays, vacation, sick, and paid parental leave; health, life, and long and short-term disability insurance; partial payment for dependent health insurance; a salary reduction option for a flexible spending account; and a voluntary tax-sheltered annuity with 3% match.
To apply: A complete application packet must include a letter of application, résumé, recent
writing sample demonstrating your ability to write in a professional environment, the names and contact information (including e-mail addresses and phone numbers) of three professional references, and an unofficial school transcript. Please e-mail your application as one PDF document using our online application system:
Your application will be acknowledged. No telephone calls, please.
EOE: ALAS considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran status,
or sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.