Atlanta Legal Aid seeks 3 Housing Legal Navigators with experience working with individuals and families who are chronically homeless as well as individuals and families who are housing insecure. Openings are in the Clayton, DeKalb and Fulton offices of Atlanta Legal Aid. Knowledge of Public Housing Authority policies and available Housing subsidies is ideal (i.e., Section 8, Shelter Plus Care, VASH). The Legal Navigator will provide both legal and non-legal support to Atlanta Legal Aid clients who are facing homelessness and/or housing insecurity. The Legal Navigator will provide client advocacy, case management, benefit establishment, referrals to Mental Health/Substance Abuse services, and direct referrals to stable housing and all other supportive services as needed. Legal Navigators will provide individualized client support by helping clients develop and implement a plan to address their barriers, increase their income, and maintain and sustain permanent housing.
Qualifications and Skills:
- 1 year experience in social services, street outreach, or nonprofit or related experience, BA in social work or related field or paralegal certification, or comparable combination of education/experience
- Possess strong advocacy skills
- Excellent technical skills, including proficiency with word processing (Microsoft Office Suite), and Google based/cloud based computing resources
- Communication and listening skills, ability to work in a team and alone, adaptability, creative problem solving skills and appreciation of diversity
- Ability to maintain a non-judgmental attitude when working with persons experiencing homelessness and housing insecurity is necessary, as is having a “whatever it takes” attitude when working with challenging individuals; prior experience working with homeless persons preferred
- Fluency in Spanish is highly valued
Terms: This is a 2 year grant funded position. Salary is commensurate with experience. The starting salary for someone with 1 year of experience is $32,500. The program provides generous fringe benefits, including educational loan reimbursement up to $7200 per year (after a $65 per month deductible and set off of other loan reimbursement amounts); paid holidays, vacation, sick, and paid parental leave; health, life, and long and short-term disability insurance; partial payment for dependent health insurance; a salary reduction option for a flexible spending account; and voluntary tax-sheltered annuity with 3% match.
To apply: A complete application packet must include a letter of application, résumé, recent
writing sample demonstrating your ability to write in a professional environment, the names and contact information (including e-mail addresses and phone numbers) of three professional references, and a school transcript. Please indicate a preference (if you have one) for the Clayton, DeKalb or Fulton office in your letter of application. Please e-mail your application as one PDF document using our online application system:
Your application will be acknowledged. No telephone calls, please.
EOE: ALAS considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran status,
or sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.